Monday, September 26, 2011
Peaches and Herb
Most dynamic duos just aren't dynamic if one half is missing. Reunited just isn't the same song without both Peaches and Herb. “Who’s on first”, just isn't funny without both Bud and Lou. So math content standards mean nothing if you don’t have process standards to back them up. “The content and process standards should not be viewed as discrete elements but rather should be integrated throughout mathematics instruction (Cathcart, Pothier, Vance, Bezuk 2011)”. We didn’t do much communicating or connecting when I was learning math as a student. That realization hit me like a ton of bricks when my college counselor said I had to take this remedial math class. That sack of bricks was lifted when a college professor said hey go look at that research published by some grad students and write me a summary connecting their math to what you learned in my class. It was relevant and connected to real life…something about how many turtles were affected by human disturbances in a lake. I like turtles, had a eastern painted one named Jennifer as my first pet. You see the process standards say to students, “You gotta learn this stuff but I’m gonna make the method to the math madness so integrated with you as an individual learner it will seem like you were made to love math.”
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment