Monday, September 26, 2011

Math in thin air

I live in Denver now and have spent some time in the rarefied air above 14,000 feet as I hiked some of our highest peaks. Thoughts become sluggish and the body follows as you get higher and higher up those ridge lines. The atmosphere is fighting against every fiber of your being and even upon reaching the summit it can be hard to get excited about the accomplishment. I think this is what the atmosphere of my math classes must have been like growing up. Sometimes each step up the mountain is like drudgery and so were those math worksheets or pages, with the “Odd numbered questions only please.” Never did I walk into class and feel the excitement from the teacher that said, “Hey get ready because we are gonna learn today and have fun doing it.” Maybe just maybe if the teacher had come down to watch the honors biology teacher teach a lesson he could have picked up some pointers on bringing excitement, challenge, relevance and fun to learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment